Monday, May 3, 2010

Octavia Cook


OCTAVIA COOK

Ocatvia Cook completed a Bachelor of 3D design in Jewellery in 1998 at Auckland's Unitec Institute of Technology. The majority of her work seems to revolve around brooches although she has produced other objects (including some very beautiful rings pictured below).

I have become utterly obsessed with her brooches. I am already a huge fan of brooches and badges. I have quite a collection and intend to obtain more. Preferably even make some to the standard that Octavia does. The lines in her images are wonderfully clear and smooth and the colours in her acrylics are absolutely stunning.

One of the main attractions to Octavia Cook for me is the fact that she uses a mix of silver and acrylic mostly. In saying that she has done many other things using just gold or other metals with semi-precious stones but it would seem she has quite a nice little relationship going on with acrylics. I’m also a huge fan of the cameo themes which feature in her Cook & Co: The Family Jewels (2005) as well as her Cook & Co Coffers (2007) exhibitions where she did a series of her past and present pets as cameo brooches. Absolutely beautifully produced as well as wonderfully sentimental. Love, love, love her!


2 comments:

  1. I like the image of the feminine gun, it reminds me of a work I encounted when researching for ceramics called porcelain postol by yvonne lee schultz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon that's probably my favourite brooch by Octavia Cook. It's kinda edgy but with a feminine streak. She has some pretty cool knife brooches too but I like the lacey design on the one above.

    ReplyDelete